Wednesday, October 05, 2005

the truth about crepe myrtles

i don't have the time to be writing this.

i've decided that i don't like crepe myrtles. hold on. before your jaw drops in shock, either due to the randomness of this statement or you thinking "what has she got against this beautiful flowering vegetation that’s so abundant in the south?" let me explain.

they freak me out.

okay, i should explain further. i didn't discover it until recently. actually, i think it was last spring. these plants are all over campus...i think they're a landscaper's favorite. they are quite beautiful, as well. true, but every time my path directs me beneath the foliage of a crepe myrtle, i feel an almost undetectable drop of water fall on me. by the time i glance at my arm or wherever the drop fell, there is nothing there. its evaporated. then i start wondering if it was just my mind playing tricks on me.

you may think i'm just making this up. i'm totally not. it could be a clear, sunny sky and i in mid conversation, not even aware of the plants around me, feel the droplets of water and look up to see a crepe myrtle. for a long time, i thought it was just me. i was too weirded out to ask if it happened to anyone else.

finally, one day when i was walking with amy, we walked beneath a crepe myrtle...and she felt it too!! so it wasn't just me! since amy felt them, i figured everyone else felt them too. not so. one day i was just trying to make conversation and i asked anna if she's ever felt them. she looked at me with a weird face, which implied the expression, "are you serious?!"

and though most of the time i've never seen the droplets, i was able to spot one today. this confirms that raining crepe myrtles do exist. so now that you have been enlightened, you may never be able to walk under a crepe myrtle again without feeling the droplets. its kinda like someone saying "don't look at your nose." good luck.


oh, and i went on a website about crepe myrtles and they have some hilarious pictures that gave me a good laugh. i just had to include them. if you want to laugh at more, heres their link.

4 comments:

Kaitlin said...

you seriously write about the strangest things.

Jonathan said...

HA! I knew I wasnt the only one that happened to. Finally someone who can understand.

Jeannine said...

i really hope you're being serious because that makes me excited.

Colettie said...

that site is RIDICULOUS! and i thought that I was bad at photoshop!!! :-)