Friday, April 22, 2005

following dreams

last week, being super excited about this weekend, i had a dream. actually, i've had lots of dreams, but for some reason, as soon as i wake up, it begins to fade and become incomprehensible before i can etch it down into my memory . anyway, this particular dream was actually compelling enough for me to once again splurge, with money i'm running short on, and buy a ticket to the all-american rejects concert tonight.

as i've mentioned before, i've been spending a lot of money lately on concert tickets, the not-so-good kind of tickets, random nights out to eat, downtown cover fees, so on and so forth. once i purchased my ticket for the jimmy/format/taking back sunday concert for next tuesday, i decided that i would draw the line and stop spending money right there.

the next day, i found out that the all-american rejects were playing at the 40 watt downtown...thats about five minutes away from my cozy dorm room. remembering my resolution, i resisted my first impulse: buy a ticket. i've discovered that my will power to resist fun is not too strong. in my amazing dream, the all-american rejects sang happy birthday to me. and this wasn't just your typical "happy birthday to you"...it was in this fabulous rock out version. i was so excited that i was prolly smiling ecstatically in my sleep. actually, i have no doubt that i was. then i got to meet them after the show. it was incredible. unlike usual, i woke up in the morning fully aware of what i had dreamt. seeing this as i sign, i decided to cave in and buy myself an early birthday present. so far, thats my second birthday present to myself this year (i spoil myself). i'm crossing my fingers that tonight i will have deja vu because that would be stinking awesome.

even though i'm excited, i'm feeling a little guilty about spending more money (otherwise known as the empty pocket syndrome). i've always tried my best to save up my money for something. i get money, i only spend a little bit. i even decide to not do things because it requires money...and i'm saving up for something...which is nothing. but when it all comes down to it, money is for serving God, making memories, and following your dreams (ha, even if they're not dreams of "the future"). although its good to keep a budget, i should be living my college experience while i have the chance. after all, i only get one.

No comments: