Friday, August 26, 2005

the day i was "red"

"how you doing today, red?"

these words startled me out of my dormward bound trance as i made my way across north campus. i had just been delayed by a little rock that had made its way into my right flip-flop; i briefly took it off to get it out and hastily began to walk to my destination. i was in the midst of thawing out from my frigid macroeconomics class, but simultaneously, the 95 degree weather was making be burn up. in other words, i was in some sort of cold sweat.

at first, these words passed by me like a breeze. red isn't my name...but for some reason they caught my attention. i knew they were directed at me. why "red"? well, i was pretty much wearing all red that day. i had on red linen capris, red flip-flops, and a bright red back pack. for that day, i was red.

i darted my eyes behind me to the right. a tall guy with sunglasses strode just a few steps behind me. still startled by this address and not sure if it came from him, i replied an almost inaudible "good" (he was wearing sunglasses, for goodness sake). i thought that was the end of the conversation. for one, i couldn't tell if the guy was just being randomly rude or friendly. was being "red" a compliment? i was a little skeptical. but again, to my surprise, he continued: "heading to class?"

me: "uh, no. i'm going back to my dorm."
him: "oh where do you live?"

is this information i want to give out to a random guy? prolly not, but i was trying to be friendly, despite my awkwardness. i hesitated and then told him, and the conversation continued from there...

him: "what year are you?"
me: "i'm a sophomore...what about you? are you a sophomore?"
him: "no, i'm a 5th year senior."

crap. i hate when i ask if people are younger than they are. it makes them feel bad. scratch that. it makes me feel bad.

me: "really? sorry."
him: "no, actually i'm a sophomore."

haha. funny. why do guys always joke about things when you first meet them?? how am i supposed to know whether sarcasm is you're cup of tea if we've just met?

well into the chit chat some time later, the guy comments, "that class is going to be really interesting."

wait. was this guy in my macroecon class with me? no wonder he's talking to me. why couldn't he have mentioned that to begin with?

my point is that when random guys walk up and make comments, the first impression in a girl's conscience is either "creep" or "nice guy". becca had a similar experience just the other day. we both agree. teetering between the two is not a good way to get the conversation started...or continuing without at least hinting why they've decided to pick up a conversation with you. because otherwise, i'll assume the motives are not those i want to affiliate with.

anyway, the good news is that i now know someone in my macroeconomics class.

No comments: