Tuesday, January 15, 2008

parking isn't free

its my first and only year at school with a car and it has pretty much been the best thing of my four years here. a bit exaggerated, but not really. as soon as i knew that i would have my very own car to take to school with me, i signed myself up on the parking waitlist.

the only problem is that before i had my car at school, i was barely breaking even with my living expenses. toss another $75 a month for gas in the mix and my bank account is dwindling. i was able to select five lots to be put on the list for. i started off around 250 for about all of them and waited it out. of course, the first ones to be assigned (3 months later) to me were the $30 a month. obviously from my previous statement, i couldn't stretch my bank account that far. and the waitlist was a joke as well. i'd be as low as 12 one week, and the next i'd fall down to 78 or something ridiculous. its much like how georgia got cheated out of the national championship by the bcs this year.

so i made do. i would leave 45-50 minutes before class every morning to ensure that i could snag one of the last parking spaces at a church off lumpkin. 10 minutes to drive, 15 minutes of walking until i got to my class. i couldn't complain much because, hey, it was free. but that certainly does not make things easy.

it especially made things difficult when i had to get myself over to the intramural fields for my ultimate frisbee class. i know, i know. its like my favorite thing ever and yes, its a class. its impossible to get over there on foot in the 15 minute window we have. its impossible to get there by bus because basically all the lazy people on campus get on at one stop just to get off at the next. plus i'm not a fan of being shoved up against people i don't know...especially sweaty ones that need a shower. so, i've been trying to find the solution to my transportation problem. i've tried quickly trotting to my car (cut it down to about 11 minutes) and then driving to the back of the IM fields...i was late. i attempted the bus. no good. but finally, things went in my favor.

last friday i was notified via e-mail that i had won. i finally was assigned a parking pass. yes, it was $20 a month, but i've got four months of parking left and i've already saved all that parking money from last semester. its glorious. i drive 6 minutes. walk 4. it takes like no time at all. i actually arrived at my frisbee class early yesterday.

so all this to say, i have a parking permit. yay for me!

No comments: